For information about all things passports, go here.
To apply for a passport for the first time, you must complete these 7 steps:
1. Fill Out Form DS-11: Application For A U.S. Passport. It’s available here.
2. Submit Completed Form DS-11 In Person
This must be done in person!
|Facility Name||Street Address||City||State||ZIP||Public Phone|
|TOWN OF WINDHAM RECREATION DEPARTMENT||979 MAIN STREET||WILLIMANTIC||CT||06226||8604653013|
|WILLIMANTIC POST OFFICE||919 MAIN STREET||WILLIMANTIC||CT||06226||8604564270|
You can visit the above places, or any post office, or search for additional facilities.
3. Submit Evidence of U.S. Citizenship
When applying for a U.S. passport in person, evidence of U.S. citizenship must be submitted with Form DS-11. All documentation submitted as citizenship evidence will be returned to you. These documents will be delivered with your newly issued U.S. passport or in a separate mailing.
Primary Evidence of U.S. Citizenship (One of the following):
*A certified birth certificate has a registrar’s raised, embossed, impressed or multicolored seal, registrar’s signature, and the date the certificate was filed with the registrar’s office, which must be within 1 year of your birth. Please note, some short (abstract) versions of birth certificates may not be acceptable for passport purposes.
NOTE: If you do not have primary evidence of U.S. citizenship or your U.S. birth certificate does not meet the requirements, please go here.
4. Present Identification
|Primary Identification (One of the following):|
Note: If you apply at an Acceptance Facility and submit out-of-state primary identification, you must present an additional ID document, as well. For example, if you apply in Connecticut with a Massachusetts Driver’s License, you must present a second ID containing as much of the following information as possible: your photo, full name, date of birth and the document issuance date.
5. Submit a Photocopy of the Identification Document(s) Presented (Step 4)
Bring a photocopy of the front and back of each ID document that you will present when you apply.
- Photocopy must be on plain white, 8 1/2 x 11″ standard paper stock, showing the front and the back of your ID
- Photocopy must contain images on only one-side of each page submitted.
- If copies cannot be made on the same side of one page, you may present two separate pages; one displaying the front of the ID and the second displaying the back of the ID.
- The paper should be free of other images and/or markings.
- The 8 1/2 x 11″ paper size cannot be substituted with a larger or smaller size paper, even if the alternative folds down to the 8 1/2 x 11″ size.
- You may enlarge the image of your ID on the 8 1/2 x 11″ page, but you may not decrease the size of the image.
See this page for current fees and payment methods
As of March 2012, the fee for first-time applicants to receive a passport book is $110 + $25 fee.
7. Provide Passport Photo
See this for all of the photo requirements, including:
- In color
- Printed on photo quality paper
- 2 x 2 inches (51 x 51 mm) in size
- Sized such that the head is between 1 inch and 1 3/8 inches (between 25 and 35 mm) from the bottom of the chin to the top of the head.
- Taken within the last 6 months to reflect your current appearance
Near ECSU, you can have passport photos taken at the following locations:
- Any post office, CVS, or Walgreens location, among others
- Willimantic Post Office, 919 Main Street, Willimantic. Open 8:30am-4:30pm M-F and 9:00am-12:30pm Saturday. Phone: 860.456.4270 No appointment needed, but have your paperwork completed and avoid coming at the beginning or end of the day. Fee: $15
- CVS: 1200 Main Street, Willimantic. Phone: 860.456.1337. Fee: Approximately $8
- Walgreens: 1475 Main Street, Willimantic. Phone: 860.423.6304. Fee: $10